in the scholia to the Venetus A MS of the Iliad
Transmission of scholarly commentary? Interpreting digital corpora?
Prompted by theme of HC Honors Seminar:
Can social network analysis help?
- T.W. Allen: exterior = editorial revision
- N. Churik (HC ‘15): interlinear = “glossing commentary”
2017 HC theses analyzing ca. 80% of scholia:
- Charlie Schufreider, topic modelling: distinct content ~ distinct sources
- Melody Wauke, ML model identifying verbatim language of Aristarchus
Would social networks distinguish zones?
Achilles (266) <—22—> Agamemon (153)
Co-occurrence of names in a text
- Names = nodes
- Number of connections == edge
Visualizing a graph
- names (nodes) are marbles
- connections (edges) are rubber bands joining names
Separate by zones
- parallel to Schufreider, Wauke results
- largely independent method
- Transmission of scholia:
unique material reaches Venetus A in 3 related channels
- Interpreting digital corpora:
new questions as frequent as new answers